It has been estimated that 70 percent of medical decisions involve lab testing. In order to provide doctors with the information they need in order to help make a diagnosis and provide treatment, lab services are provided at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center. The lab is fully equipped to serve the specific needs of the cancer institute.
The Cancer Institute offers three different options:
- St. Joseph’s Lab – Patients can visit St. Joseph’s Lab prior to visiting the cancer institute to get their labs drawn. The lab is located on the 2nd floor of St. Joseph’s Hospital at 350 W. Thomas Road.
- Outside Labs – Patients can also visit labs closer to home. Orders will be enabled in Cerner with SonoraQuest and Labcorp. The immediate process will require a hard copy of the order to be given to patients. The order can also be scanned and faxed directly to the lab.
- The Cancer Institute Lab – Patients who choose to come to the Cancer institute for lab work will be scheduled for early morning draws. It will take an estimated 60 to 90 minutes to receive results.
When Are Lab Services Needed
We are committed to providing outstanding pathology and laboratory quality and testing services to our patients and caregivers in:
- Diagnosis of cancer
- Treatment of cancer
- Progress reporting
- Treatment regimen maintenance
- Blood draws
- Specimen collection
What Are The Benefits of Onsite Lab Services
Our convenient location makes it possible for us to have a very involved pathology group that’s always available to the cancer institute clinicians. We have pathologists that work closely with the clinicians as a part of our multidisciplinary approach. Additionally, our onsite lab:
- Facilitates multidisciplinary communication
- Faster reporting of results
- Increased convenience
- Improved accuracy
- Better patient experience