At Dignity Health – Cancer Institute at St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center, we know receiving a cancer diagnosis is never easy. That’s why we are committed to providing patient-centered care and comprehensive treatment with humankindness. This means we always make sure the human connection comes first, and we always respect your decisions. If you or a loved one is recently diagnosed with cancer, below are tips to help you on your journey.
Build Your Support Team
- Carefully select where you obtain cancer treatment.
- Be sure to seek out experts in your specific cancer type.
- Tell loved ones about your diagnosis.
- Share with friends and family the ways they can help you cope on this journey.
- Make a list of all your questions or concerns to share your provider.
- Collect information from reliable sources to help you make informed decisions.
- Consider bringing a trusted person with you to your appointments.
Knowledge is Power
- Familiarize yourself with your cancer type.
- Talk to a financial counselor about your insurance plan.
- Investigate treatment options for your specific disease from reliable sources.
- Find a comprehensive cancer institute that offers leading-edge clinical trials.
- Contact the American Cancer Society for local support group and other resources.
Ask for Help
- Speak up! This will be important, especially if something doesn’t feel right or is not working for you.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help from your family, friends or other community contacts.
- Don’t be afraid to ask tough questions of your provider.
- Don’t be afraid to talk to a mental health professional or social worker.